Homeschooling info to get you started!

There are as many different ways to homeschool as there are homeschooling families.

However, legally there are 3 main paths you can take when you decide to homeschool: 

1. Become a Private School by filing a PSA with the state of CA

(You can choose to join an organization called a PSP and have them submit your paperwork for you). 

2. Apply to be part of a Public Charter School which caters to homeschoolers

3. Join an online public school

PSA/PSP Option

Filing a Public School Affidavit (PSA) with the State of CA is the path that offers you the greatest amount of flexibility. A new PSA must be filed every October. Instructions for completing the form can be found here

If you decide to file a PSA, you will:

  • Select and pay for any classes you want your child to take

  • Develop a plan and choose curriculum

  • Keep records of your child's classes and achievements

If you choose this option, there are a plethora of resources available to you, and tons of local groups to support you. Click here to see just a few!

PSP stands for Private School Satellite Program. These are organizations that file the paperwork with the state of CA for you. They are the technically the record holders for your child. And many of them offer legal support if needed. They take a fairly hands off approach for the most part, but will answer any questions you have or offer specific support if asked. Click here for a list of options.

Charter School Option

There are many charter schools that provide services and funds to homeschooling families in the Los Angeles metropolitan area. Here is a list of ones we work with:

Because of SB98 and AB77 (which essentially caps the funds available to Charter Schools) many of the Charter Schools must waitlist new students for the 2020-21 school year. 


Los Angeles

  • Instagram
  • Facebook

©2018 by ACE: Alternative Choices in Education. Proudly created with